From game consoles to computers to cell phones, electricity is an increasing presence in our modern lives. More electricity usage means more potential electrical hazards. As our reliance on electricity grows, so does the importance of electrical safety awareness for the entire family. Help keep your family safe from indoor and outdoor electrical dangers by making sure they are familiar with these important electrical and fire safety tips from the Electrical Safety Foundation International:
- Keep liquids, including drinks, away from electrical items such as TVs, video game consoles, and computers. They could spill and cause dangerous shocks or fires.
- Never play with electrical cords, light sockets, or electrical outlets.
- Do not overload outlets with too many plugs.
- Never yank on the cord to unplug an appliance. Hold on to the plug itself.
- If you drop an appliance in water, do not try to get it. Shut off the power supply to your home before retrieving the item.
- Never play near power transformers or substations.
- Don’t play or fly kites near power lines. If a kite gets caught in a power line, let go of the kite.
- When there is lightning, stay away from trees and get inside.
- Have smoke alarms on every level of your home and inside each bedroom.