According to an excerpt from the Kaukauna City Council meeting of January 2, 1912 the City of Kaukauna took possession of the plant known as Kaukauna Gas, Electric Light and Power Company. The purchase of this plant was completed according to an agreement between the City and the Railroad Commission. With this purchase the City began an endeavor in the production and marketing of electric power to residential and commercial customers. In the mid-1920’s the City also began supplying water to its customers.
During these early years the City sold water and electricity to customers under the name of Kaukauna Electric and Water. Kaukauna Electric and Water built the present facility at 777 Island Street in 1979 and moved from City Hall at the south end of the Law Street Bridge to the new facility. Prior to the move, Electric and Water employees were housed in several locations. In 1999 Kaukauna Electric and Water was renamed Kaukauna Utilities.
Over the years Kaukauna Utilities has grown in its customer base and has increased the number of employees to maintain reliable production and distribution of electricity and water to serve KU customers.
Kaukauna Utilities has reached a point in time where our present facilities are no longer sufficient in size to continue to serve our customers without further expansion. Therefore, KU has implemented a three phase building and facilities expansion plan to address those needs.
The first phase of the project is the construction of a new warehouse facility which will also house a mechanics garage area as well as a mechanical shop facility. This phase is underway and is expected to be completed in February or March of 2007. The location of this facility is adjacent to our storage yard. The new building will be constructed in close proximity to where the Goldin Iron and Metal building was located on the corner of Maple Street and Island Street.
Phases two and three are expected to commence in April of 2007 and are expected to be completed by the end of 2008. Phases two and three consist of an expansion and remodeling of the present facility located at 777 Island Street. All three phases of construction and remodeling will be undertaken following Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) principals.
We truly appreciate the considerations and support of all of our customers. We wish to insure all of our customers that these expansion endeavors will in no way affect our customer service operations.